Pages

Sunday 19 February 2012

Coming Up In 2012 #15: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Do you like dragons? If so, then I am reliably informed by the lovely people at Random House that this book is perfect for you. When I attended their Bloggers' Brunch last month I was initially a little sceptical that it would be suitable for The Book Zone (For Boys), but I have been assured otherwise, and then I was pretty much sold by the premise, as detailed in the piece that author Rachel Hartman has written for us. Seraphina is due to be published in July, and here is Rachel to tell us a little about it:


What if dragons could take human shape? Would it be creepy to think of them walking among us? And what would it be like to be one, finding yourself in an alien body with unaccustomed senses and abilities, trying to navigate the human world?

After centuries of war, the humans of Goredd have made an uneasy peace with these dragons. As an anniversary of the treaty approaches, however, tensions are mounting. A prince of the realm has been murdered, and evidence points to dragon involvement. Anti-dragon zealots riot in the streets; the dragons, for their part, begin to wonder whether peace with irrational, emotional humans is worth it.

Seraphina Dombegh, a court musician, is caught in the middle. She hides a terrible secret which could cost her life, but which also gives her unique insight into the murder. Circumstances partner her with the clever, perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs, who’s more than capable of uncovering her secret if she’s not careful. Together they must solve the case before the killer strikes again – this time against the peace itself.


3 comments:

  1. Can you please tell me where will I get the book if I dont find it in my country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my TBR list for about a month -- but I've just moved it near the top, thanks to your review. I don't know if I can wait for the library copy any more!

    ReplyDelete